Registration of Marriage
The Embassy shall perform marriage registrations under the General Marriage Ordinance (Chapter 112) on submission of the ‘Notice of Marriage’ to a Diplomatic Officer in the Embassy by the parties to the marriage – Sri Lankan/Sri Lankan or Sri Lankan/Foreign national).
Both parties to the marriage can give the ‘Notice of Marriage’ and the registration can take place after the laps of two weeks (14 days ) from the date of submission of the complete documents, but within three (03) months . If the marriage is not registered within 3 months, the Notice automatically lapses.
At least one of the parties to the marriage should be a citizen of Sri Lanka.
Marriage registration is performed on a date decided by the concerned parties. After the marriage registration, the marriage certificate which is issued on free of charge, shall be handed over to the female party by the Diplomatic Officer.
Please note that applicants should physically be present at the Embassy along with required documents to give the Notice of Marriage, which will be published at the Embassy premises during the prescribed period (14 days).
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGE
- Duly completed Notice of Marriage
- Both parties should produce their travel documents with photocopies of detail pages, photo pages, visa pages to prove their identity and legitimacy to live in UAE.
- Both parties should produce ‘Unmarried Certificates’ if Divorce Certificate, which should be duly countersigned by relevant authorities/Embassies – Documents of non-Sri Lankan party should be countersigned by the relevant Embassy/Consulates in UAE.
- Both parties should submit their original birth certificates with copies – Documents of non-Sri Lankan party should be countersigned by the relevant Embassy/Consulates in UAE.
- Parents’ passport copies or ID copies
- Passport size photographs of both parties.
- Two witnesses to the marriage with photocopies of detail pages, photo pages and visa pages of the passport. If only one party to the marriage is a Sri Lankan, at least one witness should be a Sri Lankan citizen.
Please note that “Unmarried Certificate “can be produced the following ways:
1. Affidavit should be given by both parents attested by the Court (Ministry of Justice) and Foreign Ministry in Sri Lanka.
2. Single parent applicant may submit the Affidavit and attested by the Court (Ministry of Justice) & Foreign Ministry with the death certificate of other parent.
3. In the absence of the affidavit of the both parents due to which demise of both parents, the death certificate of both parents are acceptable by the Mission with the own affidavit from the applicant.
4. Any other declaration of the ‘Single civil status’ will be verified by the Embassy.
Marriage with a foreign national:
As per the Circular No. 18/2021 of the Registrar General of Sri Lanka, for marriage with a foreign national to submit the following additional documents with effect from 1 January 2022.
- Security Clearance report of foreign partner with proper attentions
- Self Health Decoration (format attached)
FEES/OTHER CHARGES FOR REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGE
|Registration of Marriage